THE RTM PROCESS FOR THE MANUFACTURE OF COMPOSITES
Transfer Molding Resin (RTM) is the process of producing composite components within a mold
The advantages of a closed molding process are considerable:
• Volatile Emissions (styrene, etc.) are massively reduced.
• It is a fast, clean and repeatable process.
• The thickness of the laminate is controlled.
• The process is much less dependent on the manual skills of the operative.
• The back surface of the part can be accurately defined.
• The process can be automated.
The dry reinforcement (glass, carbon, aramid, etc) is placed inside the mold and closed using mechanical force hydraulic press, bolt nuts, heavy duty lever clamps, etc. . .
Thermosetting resin, often in the center, is injected directly into the pack-fiber, and the mold is filled by positive hydraulic pressure from the injection machine.
The traditional RTM is based on that the mold structure must be rigid enough to withstand the pressure of the injected resin without opening or distorting.